The village is situated at the north foot of Pavlov hills, on southern lakeside of Nové Mlýny lakes. Věstonice borders with protected landscape area Pálava, on down hills which are above the village we can be found rare thermopile vegetation.
Dolní Věstonice can pride itself with number of THE MOST ... in human history
- Věstonická venuše (Venus from Věstonice) is the symbol of the oldest art.
- Dolní Věstonice was 25 000 years ago one of the most significant settlement of man on our planet.
- Dolní Věstonice is origin of the oldest ceramics in the.
- Dolní Věstonice is finding place of the oldest preserved group of skeleton of Homo Sapiens Sapiens in the world.
- Dolní Věstonice is finding place of the oldest textile production in the world.
Area around Dolní Věstonice belongs to one of the most significant agglomeration settlements of later Stone Age not only in the Czech Republic but also in Europe. Discovery of famous statue
venuše (Venus from Věstonice) brought the village fame all around the World. The statue was discovered in year 1925 by Professor Karel Absolon in the settlements of mammoth hunters, dated 30 - 25 thousand years old.
Slavic colonization of the area remind two settlements from the time of Big Moravia near the village – Peter’s Meadow and High Garden, to which belongs burial place in track On the Sands. In this place was in 50.of the last century explored around 2000 graves from 10th – 12th century.
The first written mention about the village is from the year 1312. The village was elevated to town with market right in 1460 by the king Jiří from Poděbrady.
Baptists settled in the area during 16th century. Beside to famous Baptists’ ceramics were also well known for manufacturing of natural materials, farming and wine-growing. Mill, built in 1575, belonged to the three biggest in Moravia. It burnt up in 1906.
Baptists’ square called Goose Place belongs among the biggest rarities in Mikulov viticulture sub-area. Baptists’ wine-cellars make the whole closed square.
Among other sights which encourage tourists’ attention is church of Archangel Michael, which early Gothic tower is mentioned as early as 1389. Author of rich inside decoration is court-statuary of Dietrichsteins’ Ignacio Lengelacher, who also created sculpture of Saint Luitgard and sculpture of Saint Virgin Maria that are placed east of the church.
There is also former council house where is nowadays placed much frequented archaeological exhibition.
Plenty of visitors take with an interest a view of the High Garden settlement with the rests of church foundations with powerful dikes, from 11th century, which reach up to 6 meters. Important geological locality on east outskirt of the village should not be left out; loess’s contour The Calendar of Ages, 30m high, with soil horizons from the Ice Age.
Lately the village has been gaining reputation among sport-fishermen who ashore of Nové Mlýny lakes find ideal conditions for fishing.
Year by year is the village noticed by visitors during the “stum days” when open wine-cellars offer stum tasting.
There are many recreation properties, the least expensive accommodation with boarding (for groups) offers during summer tourist season local elementary school.